Friars Club Youth Development and Community Service Programs work with boys and girls ages 5 through 17, through its various programs to help them develop personal goals and lead successful lives emphasizing the values of respect, responsibility, leadership and good sportsmanship while promoting community service and volunteerism.
Friars Ron Walker Youth Sports
We build character and promote values for over 700 boys and girls K-8th grades through organized basketball. Our 70+ volunteers help mentor and teach the children of the Friars Club. The Friars children all come from varied socio-economic backgrounds and are coached in life skills and the fundamentals of basketball.
- Winter Basketball Teams and Leagues
- Spring Basketball Teams
- Summer Basketball Leagues
- AAU Basketball Teams
Friars CISE Program
(Catholic Inner City Schools Education)
We put 300 inner city kids on the right track with the support of the DATER FOUNDATION. Our after school program provides a healthy snack, tutoring, basketball, baseball and volleyball. We supply needy children with “power packs” of nonperishable foods, for the weekends, where needed. Schools served include
- St. Francis School Seraph (Over the Rhine)
- St. Joseph School (West End)
- Corryville Catholic School (Corryville)
- St. Boniface School (Northside)
- Resurrection School (Price Hill)
- St. Francis DeSales (Evanston)
Friars Teen Leadership & Development Program
We recruit and train outstanding Junior High and High School athletes to mentor 150 “Junior Dribblers” K through 2nd grade. The coaches get the training and the kids score the points. It’s a win-win! Teenage leaders attend schools all over Cincinnati and learn to give back to their community at a early age.
Friars Baseball Program
To register for one of the Youth Sports programs, click here to download and print out the registration form.
The Jeanne and Jake Sweeney Learning Center
Our Learning Center offers free academic tutoring, during the school year for children in our sports, academic or leadership programs. We offer assistance for children ages 5-17. Our focus is two-fold: A. Help students with their schoolwork, assignments and/or projects. B. Communicate with each student’s teacher and work together to improve in whatever subject the student is having difficulty. Our tutors are dedicated and knowledgeable high school and college students. For additional information, please contact Education Administrator Tim Taylor – 513-488-8783 (extension 106) or email@example.com.
How our program works:
- Complete the Student Registration form available on the Information and Program table in the Friars Club lobby and return it in the box marked “Tutoring Information” on the table.
- If your student is practicing and playing in the current sports session, bring him/her to the Learning Center (adjacent to the lobby) one hour before the scheduled practice time. Those times are Monday and Wednesday, from 5:00 – 6:00 or 6:00 – 7:00 OR Tuesday and Thursday, from 5:00 – 6:00 or 6:00 – 7:00. Please make sure to specify which time will be attended on the registration form and we ask that you notify Mr. Taylor as soon as you know that your son/daughter may be absent for a tutoring time.
- If your student is not playing in this session, but is a member through one of our other sessions or programs, our tutoring is still available, just complete and return the Student Registration form, marking either the M/W or T/TH time that is best for you.